Can white wines get old?
White wines, aging
Still in the 80s, hearing about a great complex, structured white wine
, suitable for aging was extremely rare. Exceptions existed here and there, but they were small realities known by few admirers, or by experts with international experience, who from time to time delighted in the unequal comparison with the important and noble productions across the Alps. White wines, aging, great white wines
Italian white wine was drunk young, fresh with low gradation, simple, immediate aromas, and hardly reached the second year of age without losing balance and without acquiring the unpleasant Marsala flavor that the early oxidative process gave it. White wines, aging, great white wines
Things have changed today; on the market you can easily find great white wines, coming from all the regions of Italy, from famous wineries but also from those little known or unknown, from native or international vines; certainly we can not yet compete with certain Chablis and Montrachet of Burgundy, or Riesling, Gewurztraminer
and Pinot Gris of Alsace, and not even with the other Riesling, those produced along the course of the Rhine, in Germany, which are able to express themselves at best only after 20 or 30 years, but we are on excellent levels and we can still improve. Contrary to what you think, there are not a few vines from which you can draw long-lived white wines, just think that even with the curly grapes, considered not very suitable until a few years ago; well-known companies, in the Gavi area, have achieved more than satisfactory results, and in their cellars are found bottles with the vintage of 1990! White wines, aging, great white wines
Just to confirm the results achieved to date, On 24 September 2018 the Go Wine association, in agreement with the Consortium Tutela Vini Soave and Recioto di Soave promotes the eighth edition of "All the colors of the White", national forum on wine Italian white. It is an event dedicated to Italian white wine: over 100 white wines will be present at the tasting table and in the wine shop. Many wineries will present the same wine produced in two different vintages. An original vertical tasting that will range from the Alps to Sicily and that will involve prestigious names of Italian enology in a sort of intra-generational journey between white wines of race. White wines, aging, great white wines
To produce a great white wine it is necessary to take into account various factors that affect longevity: white wines, aging, great white wines
- The ideal land is the one with high minerality, the best are those of volcanic origin. aging white wine
- Use old vignettes that are more productive. great white wine, aging white wines,
- Vegetation irrigation should be done only when necessary.
- Have low yields, possibly obtained with winter pruning rather than with subsequent thinning.
- The grapes must reach optimal physiological maturation.
- Pay the utmost attention during all stages of the harvest, even during transport, the grapes must arrive in the cellar perfectly healthy.
- Soft pressing, to avoid excessive release of substances such as catechins and anthocyanins, which are the first causes of oxidation. gran white wine, aging white wines, longevity, best white wines
- Keep the pH low, but high minerality.
- Static cleaning of musts, using the cold technique.
- Controlled fermentation temperature. great white wine, aging white wines, longevity, best white wines
- Aging of wine on the lees. Fermentation and aging do not require a specific container, barriques, large wooden barrels, cement or steel do not affect the longevity. great white wine, aging white wines, longevity, best wines
"A good wine can be made anywhere, but a big one is not" Michel Rolland. great white wine, aging white wines, longevity, best white wines